Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Imidacloprid is a topical insecticidal agent prescribed by your veterinarian to treat fleas in dogs and cats.
How do I give this medication?
- Apply this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- DO NOT apply more medication than directed or more often than directed.
- Try to ensure that you have a reminder system in place to indicate when the next dose should be applied.
- Keep the product away from the pet's mouth and eyes.
- Make sure that the product does not contaminate food or feed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after handling the medication.
What if I miss giving a dose?
Apply the dose as soon as possible. Contact your veterinarian if you have missed applying the dose by more than a few days. Do not apply two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are the potential side effects?
"The pet may salivate if the medication comes in contact with the mouth. The drug is very bitter."
- No adverse effects were noted when the drug was applied as directed.
- The pet may salivate if the medication comes in contact with the mouth. The drug is very bitter.
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian if you are giving your pet any other medication or supplements.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may be anticipated. If this occurs, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- No interactions have been noted with this medication.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.