Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Gentamicin is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. This preparation has been prescribed to treat a bacterial infection of the eye. Common infections treated with this medication are conjunctival infections and infections on the cornea (clear part of eye).
How do I give this medication?
"If you are giving more than one eye medication, make sure you allow 5 to 10 minutes between medications."
- Instill the drops or the ointment in the pet's eye(s) as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- Wash your hands before and after administering the medication.
- Do not touch the eye with the tip of the dropper or tube
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed and do not give more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
- This medication may cause stinging upon application.
- If you are giving more than one eye medication, make sure you allow 5 to 10 minutes between medications.
What do I do if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a tight, light resistant container.
Are there any potential side effects?
- This medication may sting a bit when instilled in the eye.
- Side effects are unusual with this medication.
- If the eye looks worse after starting the medication, contact your veterinarian.
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
What are the possible drug reactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.